Sunday, February 10, 2008

Je Parle Tres Mauvais en Francais

And I can't write it either.

Today I am running around with Nadi. He is cool.

He is also, I discover, the guy who manages the hostel computers. There must be a sign on my head: "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to write software..."

Whatever. We have a quick breakfast and then head into Old Nice, otherwise known as Veille Ville. I warn him that I am absolutely going to annoying the bejesus out of him all day with taking pictures of everything. He says he will agree to be annoyed all day if I agree to speak French all day. Oh Brother. You don't know what you're in for Nadi, but it's a deal.


Veille Ville is every bit as charming as the French Riviera's reputation suggests:

Oh Fountains in Europe. American fountains generally suck, have you noticed?

My first French Candy Store. Sweet.

After wandering the old town for a bit, we hike up to the Chateau on the nearby hill. The Chateau is only moderately marvellieux but the views are magnificent.

The Seagull just flew into the frame...So Cool!!

While the Chateau itself is in fairly unimpressive ruins, lots of cool art has survived. Check it out:


Then, still more views, from the top of the Chateau and making the descent:

Them Riviera Folks do Love the Big Boats.

Also, pretty unfamous monuments are everywhere and, as with most of Europe, all monuments to anything are VERY LARGE. Yowza.

Incidentally, this is a Fax/Copy Store. Not bad, eh?


So, Nadi and I have lunch, it's fine but not amazing. I have French Onion Soup and Nadi has a mound of Steak Tartare as big as a football. Even he can't finish it and I'm not much help. But it is tasty. After lunch we find a Chocolatier/Salon de Thé.

Oh. My. God.

Y'all ready for this?

Gasp.

No Words.

Only Tea. And Coffee. And Chocolate. Oh Dear God YES Chocolate.

By the time we finish our afternoon teatime, twilight has begun. The already fairly tasteful Ferris Wheel seems downright chic as night begins to fall.

Goodnight Carnivals Everywhere.

After we head back to the hostel, I decide to stay longer in Nice and then go straight to Pau, rather than go to Marseille in between. I do the train research, extend my Villa reservations, email Andrea to tell her when my train arrives, do some more budgeting and general trip organization... all the while, about ten VERY drunk Australians play "I Never" right behind me. Ah, the life of a Hosteler. Time for bed.

No comments: